One month down...
Wow. I've only been here a month?! It amazes me how quickly time flies, yet how much it feels like I've been here forever (in a good way!). So much has gone on over the last month- it is difficult to sort through the many memories that have already accumulated in my brain so that I can focus on one theme or story. I guess I'll just write of the most recent happenings in my life...
Beautiful days. I am so thankful for the constant sun here in Spain! I am discovering how much I am affected by the weather as I have seen a definite change in my attitude on the days when it has rained here (and there haven't been many). My language school and host family home are in the center of the Salamanca district here in Madrid. This "barrio" or neighborhood is the type of neighborhood you see in romatic pictures of Spain's historic cities... structures and homes that have been around for centuries, tree-lined streets, little shops around every corner, people walking everywhere with dogs and children or on their way to work, and Retiro Park (a large park in the center of the city with lots of green, lots of picture-worthy statues and structures, a lake, and countless opportunities for interesting people-watching. I love having this park so close to everything I'm dong right now!)...
I feel completely spoiled with my current situation. My host family lives in an amazing home that they have kept as close to the original decor as possible. My host father is an architect and my host mother is an artist who paints on silk- they both work from their home, so there is a large room in the front of the flat for their studios where the light streams through the windows and creates a lovely atmosphere for working. I love having my own space again. The room isn't huge, but it is very comfortable and has nice artistic touhes.
There are three adopted children in this family from three different countries, and the family dynamics are great. I'm really enjoying my time with this family, and am definitely interested in the ways that theyview their faith. This is a Muslim family who has converted from Catholicism, so we have alot to talk about... just last week, we started a conversation comparing Christianity and Islam that started during dinner and lasted until 2 AM! This has been quite a learning experience for me- it's more than just the language that I am learning as I live with this family...
Speaking of language learning, I have really enjoyed the experience of learning Spanish in a setting where I have a neverending source of opportunities to practice. I was expecting a much more frustrating experience with language learning, but I have found that being an extremely talkative person is definitely a bonus when learning a language! I talk to people in the church, strangers on the street, my host family, doormen at my school and where I am living now, people in bars when I go out (yes, I go to bars here in Spain- that's really the only option if you're meeting someone for coffee or just to hang out)... so many opportunities to get to know different people!
I am convinced that this is where I am supposed to be right now. It's kind of strange to think that this is not a visit- this is my home for at least the next three years. I think I'm still stuck a little bit in the mindset of "home is Ohio", but over time, the transition will take place so that Spain becomes my home. Obviously, the people I love and family will always be home to me, but I'm finding that even more than that, I need to make my home in Christ, not anything else. As long as I feel at home in Him, I can be content anywhere.
Well, these are my thoughts for the moment...
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home